Monday, February 8, 2010

Recap of Islamic Awareness Month Kick-Off and Ivy Muslim Conference (Part 1)

Flyer from MSA Meet & Greet, the kickoff event for Islamic Awareness Month at Yale

Meet and Greet
This month the Muslim Student’s Association of Yale is hosting a series of events as part of Islamic Awareness Month. Their first event was the kick-off meet and greet. So many people showed up that by the time I arrived a lot of the (TURKISH!) food was gone. But no worries because they still had a chocolate fountain.


Over 100 people attended the conference.

Conference Opening

There was a noticeable buzz when I arrived in the Dwight Hall Chapel. Students from Brown, Columbia, Cornell, Dartmouth, and even Brandies had traveled to Yale for the first ever Ivy Muslim Conference. Inclement weather had forced several schools’ delegations and two key speakers from DC to cancel last minute, but the conference was still well underway. Though I couldn’t grasp the meaning of the introductory prayer read from the Qur’an, I was still astounded by the audience. Among the 50 or so seated people and the dozen or more standing around there was much more ethnic diversity than I had expected. Of course I had met Caucasian Muslims before and had a Chinese Muslim friend in high school but I went into the conference without remembering that Islam transcends race. This small insight got me thinking a lot; this would be a running theme throughout the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment